Sunday, September 25, 2011

Current Events

I fixed an electrical outlet today (yeah, the title is a bad pun).

I know a couple of brilliant electricians, and I've also been electrocuted by an outlet before - so I'm really proud that I was able to do this repair.  Here are my takeaways:

1.  Was able to accurately decipher my circuit-breaker layout and deactivate the correct circuit.
2.  Used my voltmeter, set the proper setting, and determine correct voltage present
3.  Acquired the correct type of GFCI outlet with metal cover (this was an outdoor outlet)
4.  Retro-fit the new outlet and cover into the existing outlet space

For step #2, I needed YouTube's guidance.  I didn't want to destroy myself or my voltmeter, so knowing the proper setting and the correct orientation of the probes was key.  I'm less-afraid of electricity today.

No comments: